Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

September 11, 2001 was just a typical Tuesday morning. I had just gotten to school when I got a frantic call from my grandmother telling me that an airplane has hit one of the twin towers in New York. Of course, this is very disturbing news but more so when your mother is suppose to be on a flight from NYC that morning.... I kept on trying to get some news from NY cuz all my family lives there and my uncle Raul worked a block from the towers but the lines were all jammed.


Since I couldn't do anything I just went into class and figured that I could probably get more information when I got out. In the middle of my class, my cellphone rings and it is a call from my uncle's house so I instinctively just got my phone and ran out of class. They just wanted to let me know that everyone, including my mom, was safely at home. My uncle had not gone to work that day cuz he was taking my mom to the airport. This news gave me huge relief so I immediately called my grandmother and told her everything was OK.

It wasn't til I got home from school that I realized the magnitude of what was happening in NYC. At that moment I started to cry so hard because all I could think was that if my uncle had gone to work that day he would have been so close to all this disaster.

Five years ago I spent the whole day praying that people would get saved andtoday I will spend the whole day praying for the families of all those innocent people that were lost on this AWEFUL day.

No comments: